Bruce Ferguson

Here's my story sad but true ....... sounds like a song.
Well one dark and stormy night, no, no. Acually it was a turning class
during the summer. I had short sleves and shorts on. I was having fun
making the shaveings that piled up on my hands and arms while makeing my
first bowl. Nature called and off to the restroom I went brushing of the
shaveings. After the rest room I finished my bowl. The next morning
everything down below was swollen my forarms in peticular were red and
iching. Spent a few miserable weeks with calamine lotion and trying not to
scratch. looked like poison oak. Down below was in bad shape too. Once I
got over it I was ok. Don't know what happened to the bowl may it burn in
he........ The big lesson I preach to people is when turning new stuff have
long sleves rolled down and wash your hands BEFORE useing the rest room. I
have gotten into the habit of scrubbing my hands when called for dinner or
if I am going to be away from the lathe for andy length of time and
especilly if nature calls.

Bruce
"Copernicus Skygazer" wrote in message
Greetings from a novice bowl turner,

I recently came into a lucky find. A friend wanted to cut down three
large trees in her front yard. I took a few logs to try out, until I
identified the wood. Silky oak (Grevilla robusta), a relative of
LACEWOOD!

Apparently these Australian trees are grown in Aridzona due to their
drought resistance, but either way, I grabbed them all.

I have since sealed the ends (either with the waxy anchor seal or thick
coating of outside latex paint), but not removed the bark yet. I've
gotten a variety of advice, including leave the bark on and store it in
my garage (as the summer heat will probably be a bad idea).

Also, there is some concern due to the phenolic compounds found in the
wood.

Any advice on how to properly store this, best way to work it, and will
the LDD technique work with it etc?

Thanks,
Phil