Gordon Clarke

On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 16:10:54 -0700, "Mike Rinken" mwrinken at gmail
dot com wrote:

So How do I create or hollow out the spoon part after I've turned the
handle? I cannot think of any way to do this with the lathe, and I need to
do it in an efficient manner as I have about 30 of these to do.

Thanks!!!

I've not made spoons, but the technique I use to create a recess in
the bottom of small bowls may be helpful here.

I chuck the 2" power sanding head (I normally use in my hand drill to
sand the rest of the bowl on the lathe) into the drill press. That
gives me two hands free to handle what needs to be sanded.

I use 80 grit to shape the recess, and then move to finer grits to
finish the process.

Gordon