rick pixley

"Copernicus Skygazer" wrote in message
Greetings from a novice bowl turner,

I recently came into a lucky find. A friend wanted to cut down three
large trees in her front yard. I took a few logs to try out, until I
identified the wood. Silky oak (Grevilla robusta), a relative of
LACEWOOD!

Apparently these Australian trees are grown in Aridzona due to their
drought resistance, but either way, I grabbed them all.

I have since sealed the ends (either with the waxy anchor seal or thick
coating of outside latex paint), but not removed the bark yet. I've
gotten a variety of advice, including leave the bark on and store it in
my garage (as the summer heat will probably be a bad idea).

Also, there is some concern due to the phenolic compounds found in the
wood.

Any advice on how to properly store this, best way to work it, and will
the LDD technique work with it etc?

Thanks,
Phil