George

Sounds like the word "abuse" is justified, though I would guess that the
coring is worse than the short-term out-of-balance loads. Were the bearings
properly secured? Do you use the tailstock until round?

I do rough lathe-rattling beginnings too, and Ol' Blue (46-204) is still on
his first quiet set. I do check and tighten as required a couple times a
year, of course. Tough to estimate, but I'd guess he's got over a
thousand 12" bowls, easy, at least as many smaller ones, plus spindle
stuff.

Fortunately they're cheap.

"robo hippy" wrote in message
ups.com...
I recently wore out the bearings on my five year old PM lathe. I don't
know if I should get a merrit badge for using it so much or if the
bearings aren't up to the amount of abuse that I heap on my lathe. I do
turn a lot of bowls from chainsawn blanks, and core almost all of them.
Is it just me or has anyone else had this problem?