Michael McNeil

Default plastering

The Knauf DIY site has some advice and tips
http://www.teachmediy.com/home/frame...s_plaster.html

Cheers Peter, that's a good site, tells me most of what I want to know.

I think it is an excellent site too ta. I haven't checked it out though,
yet.

What I would suggest for a complete novice is to clear out a room not in
much use or out of the way and practice there with a miture of sand and
lime. A garage wall with interior corners would be ideal.

Use 5 parts brick sand to 1 part lime. You only need one mix to
play with all day as it can be scraped off and remixed until you are
confident. (I suggest brick sand to play with, the ideal rendering is
plastering sand. It's not so common in use now with plasterboarding &
etc.)

Keep the floor clean to allow the mess to be picked up sans
big debris. The main trick to get just before starting is to play with
the hawk and trowel for a while. I suggest you mix a shovelful and mess
around with that for a few minutes first. Getting that poised transfer
from hawk to trowel is half the job.

Half the rest is the fluid movement at the wrist when spreading it on
the wall. It's a kind of measured twist. Quite relaxing if you are not
under pressure.

Have fun, or let the wife have a go.