Floyd \Who\

In article ,
mac davis wrote:

On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 09:08:34 -0500, "Floyd \"Who\""
wrote:

snip
It worked great, was very adjustable and CHEAP.. lol
(note to self: if ever doing serious turning on a shopsmith, put the
sucker up on blocks!)

Mac I noticed your Shopsmith note concerning blocks and was interested
as to what you exactly meant. Do you elevated the unit because the
height is not what you prefer or are you adding weight to keep it from
vibrating?
As due to economic consideration I also turn with a shopsmith. Two eight
pound bags of Quickcrete placed across the horizontal bars seem to
settle it down to and except-able degree.

I was referring to the height, Floyd... though when turning something
a little off balance, every joint, adjuster or other metal part of the
SS tells you about it... maybe a few hundred pounds would help...

I just got a Jet mini for Christmas, and set it up on a table until I
build a stand... it's a bit too high, but what a difference from the
SS!
Instead of the bowl center being at waist level, it's a little above
elbow level... which is what I meant be wanting to put the SS up on
blocks... I was even thinking of taking the SS off it's stand and
bench mounting the sucker..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Thanks Mac that's what I thought. Congrat's on the new lathe maybe next
year I can join the world of real lathes. As I turn a lot of segmented
bowls I'll need something bigger than a mini. Been checking ebay for a
used big lathe like a Delta or Powermatic. Got out bid on a nice General
but I'll just keep looking. I seen a post from you that you had bought a
chuck for your SS how did that work out for you??

--
To reply drop "spam" from the email address

"woodturning" The ability to turn useful material to sawdust

Floyd "Who"