George

"Derek Andrews" wrote in message
George wrote:
Somewhat puzzled at Derek saying that his shavings don't burn that well.
Mine incorporate lots of air because of the way I turn, allowing me to

use
them as fire starters.

The shavings burn fine. Its the smaller chips that are more of a
problem. I tend to seperate and save the long shavings for fire
lighting, and shovel the chips on in small doses so as not to dampen the
flames too much.

As I said, difference in turning style. If I get "chips" I alter my tool
presentation. I want to cut the wood, and with curved shapes, that's
twisted shavings with lots of incorporated air.

Or are you hollowing endgrain a lot?