yourname

and it has a freq drive

yourname wrote:
"imachine" [machinery values in NY] has a EE with a readout on ebay for
9k, they are routinely overpriced and I never see them sell anythink on
ebay, but you could drive there and hand them 7k . If the ways are flat,
it is a good machine.

yourname wrote:

get the EE, you will never ever regret it. Get a WWll or almost new
one though, motor generator is much more reliable than tubes. course,
400 bucks buys a nice inverter these days. Try Bob at Rison's in
plaistow nh he's honest and will rig it for you. I bought my EE from
the guy in oxford ma who advertises in the wantadvertiser. Guy by the
name of Unkaulf[sp] in franklin was also an decent guy, also in
wantad, but twas a while back.

there's nothing like a monarch to mow a huge chip and then hold a
tenth on the next pass. And they FEEL so good to use, something lost
on so many new machines.

lubarsky wrote:

My present lathe is a Jet 123 6P which I have had for maybe twenty
years,
and I really, really don't like it. As a lathe it would make a good
anchor
(I do exaggerate, but not much). My previous lathe was a nice 11" Logan
which I loved, flat belt and all, but sold over thirty years back
when I was told
that you couldn't get parts anymore. So I was a bit spoiled. Now I
want some
precision.
I plan on making small parts, mostly under 2" diameter for an
experimental
engine that has been growing in my basement for several years. I
doubt that
I could do better than +/- .005 with the Jet so part-to-part
variation would
be unacceptable then both variation and concentricity should be
better than
+/- .0001.

My short list of lathes is quite short: The Prazi II Apollo D2400DLX
and the
Prazi II Apollo D6000, both equipped with 2 axis DRO's.
I am looking at price range here of approx.$5400 to $7400 for what
are "hobby lathes".

Are the machines good, bad, indifferent?
What might be better options?

It would be great if I could find a used Hardinge HLV-H, or a Monarch
EE in
that price neighborhood (or realistically a few thou. more) that was
under power
in either Connecticut or Massachusetts so I can check it out in use.
I was burned a few years back buying a Bridgeport CNC milling
machine, and I don't
want that sort of hassle again! I wouldn't turn up my nose a Levin or
a Schaublin, but
I'm not holding my breath.

WEL