Hugh Prescott

Sorry, only Conan swings a 30 pound sword!

SCA members research indicates single hand swords probable ranged from 2 to
6 pounds with great swords (2 handed) up to abt 8 - 10 pounds.

A 1 hour long battle will leave a SCA fighter dripping wet with sweat soaked
armor, border line dehydrated and near heatstroke with arms almost unable to
lift or control a weapon.

Same thing shooting archery in a battle for an hour (~250 arrows from a 50
pound draw bow)

Great fun though!

Hugh

"carl mciver" wrote in message
k.net...

"Hugh Prescott" wrote in message
| Way too light.
|
| Would not have enough mass to hit hard enough to do damage on armor.
|
| The mass and balance point are very inportant for tourment or battle
| conditions. One that is too light requires you to swing harder to

achieve
| good blow and one that is not balanced right will wear your arm and
shoulder
| down quickly trying to control it. A good swoard blow starts at the
| fighters feet and works it way to the wrist.
|
| I know, I fight sword and shield weekly, even a pratice with rattan
weapons
| requires weight and balance simular to real metal swords.
|
| Hugh

I recall in high school being surprised to learn that iron swords in

the
middle ages weren't very sharp either. Too heavy to bother with being
sharp.. Folks just pounded each other until one was too tired from

swinging
a 30+ pound sword. Folks died from internal injuries rather than being

cut
up. Being a knight in armor must have been a job!. Wearing 100+ pounds

of
soft iron and mail, full of dents, sweating your fanny off, and having to
swing this overweight beam of iron around must have been hell.