Martin H. Eastburn

Craig wrote:

I am currently doing some re-modeling downstairs(building a bar) and
have some access holes cut in the ceiling from having a baseboard
heating system installed. Anyway, my wife has wanted to be able to
change the TV around (put it on the opp. wall) but we had no way to get
cable to that spot. But now with the access holes downstairs, I can run
a cable over to the desired spot and use a splitter on the incoming
sat. cable. I was thinking of running some speaker cables incase I ever
want a surround sound setup. I do not know anything about them, how
many wires do I need to run for the speakers? Is there 4 or 5 speakers?
I was planning on using 16ga. speaker wire, but do not know what type
of box to run it to, or what type of ends to put on it. What about RCA
ends, then put matching ends on cables? I dont want to leave the cables
just hanging out of the wall. I know they have to be marked for hookup,
and for + and - . I seen a setup at Home Depot that is a box with six
square holes that accept RCA connectors, or other type of connectors,
they snap in the square holes. I would have to use two of these boxes,
that would give me six cables for speakers? Any help or info on this
would be great.
Thanks,
Craig

First of all the Speakers are typically High Tech small ones - likely 4 or 8 ohms.
So they haul current that is for sure. I put on Monster cable - and
have much better sound than the dinky wires shipped.

So as many strand, as large - 14ga isn't to big.

One the split cable - yes have something on both ends. A TV and a splitter or 75 ohm load
on the other end.

Don't use RCA jacks on the speakers - not enough current - but might be on
the edge of ability.

How many watts are you driving with your 5.1 or 4.3 system. We have three systems
in the house. I'll have one in my shop once moved.

Had to upgrade to a second generation unit and the third is my Sons.

Martin

--
Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn
@ home at Lion's Lair with our computer