Modat22

Default Making my own welding machine?

On 4 Jan 2005 19:51:52 GMT, Ignoramus28225
wrote:

A post in the transformer thread made me think. I have a very large
transformer with many windings. At least a 200 pounds beast.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/capacitors/

I hope that I can find a way for it to reduce voltage to say 30-60
volts or something, on those windings. Maybe rewind it a little bit.

I am going to have a 60 AMP subpanel in my garage soon, I am working
on it anyway (compressor needs more juice etc).

Then, to have a rudimentary welding machine, all I need is to add a
onboard overcurrent protection device, a rectifier big enough, and
welding cables. Am I missing something important? I know next to
nothing about welding equipment and wanted to tap into your collective
knowledge.

Do welding machines need to be DC powered?

Thanks!

Nope you can weld with AC, I think DC is nicer though. Look around on
the web there are lots of great DIY welding plans out there and you
have a good start with your transformer core.