Bruce L. Bergman

On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 06:58:14 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:
On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 21:52:26 GMT, calmly
ranted:

For fine, close work (ie, jewelry making) I use an Ott light which
duplicates the spectrum of the sun. I find it makes a big difference.

The suckers are expensive, however.

http://stitchers-paradise.com/Lamps_.../Ott_Light.htm
shows that there are two versions of Ott bulbs in case anyone
is interested. Ouch, 13w bulb for only $27! 4' full spectrums
are only $5 or so in stores. I wonder how they'd differ in use.

Ebay has the true-color Otts for $47.90 + $13.90 s/h (right.)

Ott-Lite lamps are only "Daylight" 5000K lamps with a high Color
Rendering Index. Several major manufacturers have lamps with very
similar output spectra, for a lot less money - do a little research.
You will have to special order them unless you live in a big city,
because most distributors only stock the big movers.

And the "Special" Ott fixtures are overpriced for what they are,
too. They're selling the brand name at a big premium.

We have a few - bought at garage sales for reasonable prices. ;-)

-- Bruce --

Electrician for Westend Electric - CA726700
5737 Kanan Rd. #359, Agoura CA 91301 (818) 889-9545