jim rozen

In article , Don Foreman says...

Would you shoot a thief if he disobeyed your command to "stay"? I
wouldn't risk my freedom to catch a thief, though I suppose there's
little downside to trying a bluff.

I really don't know how stuff like this works in real life, as opposed
to TV and movies. I certainly understand the prudence of being armed
and skilled if one goes in harm's way or lives in a risky place but I
(possibly naively) believe that killing someone for disobeying you
could cost far more than it's worth -- and shooting but not killing
them might cost even more.

I may be a dinosaur here. I enjoy the precision of nice firearms,
and spent many enjoyable hours with my rifle as a boy, and I am a
veteran. I hunted as a boy but have not hunted since my military
service other than shooting rabbits that eat the flowers in Mary's
garden. Flowers feed rabbit, pop, rabbit feeds new flowers.
Perhaps there is a lot I don't understand about how responsible
civilians may use lethal force against other civilians.

I'm ambivalent about gun control for that reason. I oppose it in
principle, but I find some of the attitude exhibited by
second-amendment activists to be disturbing.

And here is the trouble - Don, you have a great deal in common
with most firearm owners. I think you you enumerated my feelings
on the matter nearly to an iota.

Yet the fringe elements on *both* sides of the issue hardly
understand the sentiments in the comments above. Nor do they
care to, because those sentiments fly in the face of most of
their dogma. So the pro- and anti- factions continue to
stirr up trouble.

The anti-s wihout a clue that you view your firearm as yet
another wrench in the drawer.

The pro-s without a clue that you are deeply disquieted by
the essence of almost all their political activism.

sigh.

Jim

please reply to: