Ken Davey

ATP wrote:

There were a lot of flourescent ballasts that contained PCB's, and a
lot of old shelf stock around. Some of them are undoubtedly still in
service. There are still some very old utility transformers in
service that contain PCB's.

Yup. The Municipality I used to work for had a whack of those ballasts and
had to remove all from service.
Triple bagged and stored in an old shed for 'future' disposal - read "when
we figure out how we will let you know".
The bags eventually disintigrated - the ballasts leaked and the whole damn
shed became one embarassing toxic mess.
Cost a small fortune to clean up the site and bury everything - including
the shed.
A nearby port faciliiy for the local pulp mill (Porpoise Harbour) had the
distinction of being the most (PCBs) contaminated place in the Western
World!
PBBs are heavier than water - a convenient test of unknown oil - and the
bottom of the harbour was covered with a (hopefully) sealing layer of clay.
Nasty as they once said it is or not it, is still a worrysome substance.

Ken.

--
http://www.rupert.net/~solar
Return address supplied by 'spammotel'