Ron Moore

Probably not. Even with the gear reduction, at 1:1 on the saw wheel,
you're running about 75fpm, but you're loosing a lot of mechanical
advantage because of the diameter of that wheel. It will work, but
don't crowd the blade. I'm afraid it will stall fairly easily. I've
looked at using a reeves drive from an old hospital-grade treadmill.
Variable cone pulley will give more torque at low speed where it's
necessary.
Respectfully,
Ron Moore

Craig wrote:
I need some opinions on a project. I have an older Mont. Ward 16" wood
vertical bandsaw that Im converting to metal. I have a Leeson DC gear
motor, will it work? I have the speed controller also. It is 40 or 45
to 1 reduction, but only 1/4 hp, about 62 rpm. Will this have enough
power and torque to cut metal? I have never been around these motors
before, so its all new to me.
Thank you,
Craig