Mike Henry

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 20:10:33 -0600, "Mike Henry"
calmly ranted:

A friend just recomnended gloss as he thought it would be easier to clean
but the satin sounds better to me even though the only source of sunlight
is
a couple of window wells and not much gets in that way. I don't use flood
coolant anywhere so the major source of oil splatter is from the lathe.
Never know what the future will bring though.

My acrylic eggshell paint is completely washable and cleans easily.
The good paint I'm using inside now (Rodda Master Painter) is $17.22
a gallon at Dutch Boy Paints. It's a much better paint than I used
to buy and is much nicer to work with. It stinks less while drying
and curing, and is easier to clean later. Since I don't use any
solvents splashing around in the shop, I got away with cheap $9/gal
paint.

You might want to use a sealant paint as a base coat, anyway, just in
case. Mine's aboveground so I don't have any moisture worries at all.

Primer/sealant is beginning to sound like a good idea. Guess I'll wander
over to the paint store tomorrow and see what they have.

Buy the good stuff so you only have to do it once. DAMHIKT. And be
sure to clean (and dry) the walls well before using any paint or
sealer. Prep work is what makes a job _last_.

I bought a gallon each of Benjamin Moore Fresh Start primer and Aqua Pearl
satin finish top coat, both premium grades, apparently. It will take a few
weeks to get the whole shop done as all the stuff on/near the walls will
have to be moved. It's a good thing that the electrical outlets and lights
are on different circuits. There are quite a few outlets (with conduit)
along the wall that will have to be moved to paint.

On close inspection the wall is a little rougher in some spots than I'd
thought, so it seems like a good idea to start with one small section and
see how well my surface prep works.

Thanks (all) for the advice.