On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 02:16:27 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
wrote:

"john johnson" wrote in message
. au...

Firstly, size doesn't matter,

Well, no. Size DOES matter when it comes to PCBs in transformers. It
was only used in large or specialized equipment.

it was everywhere at one time,

Not in transformers, it wasn't.

and ignoramus's original post did not mention if the transformer was dry or
not.

The OP made it pretty obvious it was not a sealed transformer. That
means no oil, so no problem.

If you aren't sure, the thing to do is ask, not go flying off.

I've heard OLD veteran teachers say they think there's something in the
water - people no longer have reading comprehension skills. Luckily, you and
two others here seem to escaped this fate.

That's debatable.

Okay, all that said -- for you paranoids out there there is another
source of PCBs that _was_ commonly used in the home: Capacitors,
especially the capacitors used in electric light ballasts. Those _did_
have PCBs in them at one time. So if you're got some 30-year-old
flourescent lights hanging around you might want to take a minute to
check the ballasts. If they don't have PCBs they will say so.

--RC

"Sometimes history doesn't repeat itself. It just yells
'can't you remember anything I've told you?' and lets
fly with a club.
-- John W. Cambell Jr.