Robert Swinney

If you want some of rivet sets for small copper rivets get a PM research
boiler kit. (www.PMresearch.com) It comes with a nice set of instructions
and drill rod for making a 4 piece set of rivet sets. Also instructions for
making an anvil for setting riverts out of 3/4" stock.

Bob Swinney
"Ed Huntress" wrote in message
news
"Dave in MD" wrote in message
I need to peen over some 1/16" aluminum rivets, and was just wondering if
there is an ideal tool for this to get the shank to "mushroom" nicely?

Are you familiar with rivets sets, Dave? They're the tool made for the
job.
They aren't very common these days, except among old farts who still do
things in old-fashioned ways. For example, I have six of them in different
sizes. g

They have a shank made to fit in a hardy-hole in your anvil. I don't have
an
anvil, so I put them in the jaws of my 60-pound vise, which works very
well.

I'm sure you can still get them. If you use plain rivets much, you need
them. A good craftsman can round over a rivet with just a ball-peen
hammer,
but the rivet sets are better if you're going to do more than two or
three.

A 12-in.-square piece of 1/2-in. steel plate is really nice for bucking
small rivets, too, although you don't really need it.

--
Ed Huntress