John

Another great suggestion... thanks. This type of solution would work
better because the base of the treadle hammer could rest on the
ground, allowing the full force of the blows to dissipate across a
wider area.

The question would be how much weight is required to raise the machine
manually given that the bulk of the weight of a treadle hammer is in
the front. (In my case 125# hammer hovers over about a 75# anvil.)

I also like Fred' idea from later in the thread of using a power drill
or some other device for screwing the wheel down. Likewise with
Byron's idea of a trailer lift type screw down.

All of these thoughts also give me one other idea. It's a bit
difficult to explain so I sketched a little diagram (attached). The
good news is that the treadle hammer I'm going to build this for will
accommodate things basically running across the center of the base...

1) Take 2" square tubular steel bars and mount wheels on them.

2) Make hinges and attach them to the base at the front and back.

3) Attach a jack of some kind to hinge points on top of the bars which
will serve to spread them apart and rotate the wheels down into
position.

This seems like it would be pretty simple to do. Thoughts? Also,
what could I use as the jack? Would a small hydraulic jack work
sideways like that? If not, I suppose a screw type trailer jack might
work?

John

On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 06:57:31 GMT, "AL" wrote:

Another type of mobile base has the machine resting on two wheels and two
pads in the down position, and three wheels in the up position. The third
wheel is positioned using a foot pedal. This is super easy to move because
you use your body weight to lower the third wheel, and then lift up with
your toe to raise the wheel. Kind of like this:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...arden&n=507846

If the link doesn't work, go to Amazon and search for "Delta mobile base".

Some woodworking machines have two wheels in the back attached to the base
of the machine (not a separate frame), and two pads in the front (also
attached to the base). When you want to move it, you use a Johnson bar to
lift the side with the two pads.