Bruce L. Bergman

On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 06:40:54 -0500, Nick Hull
wrote:
In article ,
"William Wixon" wrote:

heck, since so many other guys have asked about freezing pipes and whatnot i
am assuming i won't get my head bit off here if i ask you guys about... i'd
like to install a well and water pressure tank (with submersible pump) for
seasonal use in a "campground". i can imagine i am going to have to drain
the tank and pipes in the fall but the thing that has me puzzled is, if the
poly pipe coming up from the pump has a foot valve on it what am i supposed
to do / how do i drain the water down the poly pipe to below frost level? i
mean, without digging an insulated underground "pump house". i had hoped to
use a "hydrant" but the water has to come up to the surface first anyhow to
get to the pressure tank. i haven't ever seen a underground valve, i
suppose with a LONG handle stem to drain the water to below frost level.

Assuming the plumbing is on the surface, I would have a Tee on the top.
To winterize, take off the plug on the top of the tee and stick a long
thin copper tube in and give it a blast of compressed air. It should
blast enough water out to eliminate worries about freezing.

Sucking the water out the tube would also work but is not as easy.

If I was rigging the well again, I'd put a tee right above the foot
valve (or submersible pump) and run a small 1/4" or 3/8" poly tube up
to the top of the wellhead with a Schrader valve. Place a drain valve
at the pump inlet, and you can push some air in to displace the water
above the frost line without disassembling everything.

-- Bruce --
Electrician for Westend Electric - CA726700
5737 Kanan Rd. #359, Agoura CA 91301 (818) 889-9545