Gunner

On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 00:25:21 -0500, john

Gunner...Is the outside edge of your table on your mill higher than the
inside part of the table where the T-slots are? I assume that the table
should be completely flat from edge to edge and end to end. I guess it
is likely that the the inside of the table has "sunk" over the years
because of things being clamped to it. It looks to be from .002-.005
low in places. My plan was to completely check the table end to end and
then draw file it back into shape. Any suggestions? Thanks, Steve

Use a big flycutter and take a skin cut over the whole thing. You need
a big one so you can reach the edges. Make sure you tram it in so it
cuts a flat surface. The only problem is if your ways are worn. If
they are worn the top of the table will have a crown in the middle and
cutting it will only make matters worse. You can check the ways with a
straight edge and a dial indicator mounted on the table and the straight
edge on the knee.

John

Fly cutters dont work very well on a horizontal mill when trying to do
the table G

Gunner

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling
which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight,
nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being
free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
- John Stewart Mill