John

Excellent suggestion.

My thoughts up to this point were along the lines that the wheels
would normally be in an UP position, and when you wanted to move the
machine you'd have to bring them down, in essence raising the rest of
the machine.

From the photo of that Grizzly stand, it appears to have screw down
mechanisms that raise up the machine when it isn't supposed to roll.
Simplicity at it's finest.

The only problem with this method is that the actual machine in
question here is a Treadle hammer. And the slamming down would
definitely destroy the tiny supports (or pound them right into the
cement.) I suppose it might be possible to change things around so
that the wheels are actually threaded to the outside and you screw
them downward each time.

This idea definitely is in line with the $100 rule. Though it would
be nice to come up with something involving a bit less manual labor
than screwing each of the wheels down by hand each time the machine
needed to be moved...

Thanks,

John

On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 05:49:39 GMT, "AL" wrote:

How about making or buying something like this?

http://www.grizzly.com/products/item...emnumber=G7315

"John" wrote in message
.. .
I've been trying to work through a fairly challenging issue and
thought I'd open a question up to the group for discussion.

Assume there is a rather large and very heavy piece of equipment,
say... 6'h x 2'w x 3'd and 500lbs. The machine is made of steel, and
there are plenty of places around the base that would make fine weld
points (if necessary). Also assume the machine needs to rest on it's
base to operate (can't just affix wheels to bottom), but it also needs
to be able to be moved randomly around a shop by a single individual
without a forklift. For grins, it's a 100lb. 5' tall female.

How would you modify the machine for this requirement? Oh yeah, you
have to do it with a budget of $100 or less (hopefully a lot less...)