John A. Weeks III

In article .com,
wrote:

I recently got a monthly electric bill for $180! The electric company
said this worked out to about 36KWh per day.

So I went home and did a circuit breaker test. It seems that most of
the draw is from a sub panel. I turned off individual fuses on the
subpanel to find that the living room was taking the most draw. It
turns out our tv / vcr / dvd and antenna were all taking about the same
amount which was a major contributor to load.

You are on the right path, but need to keep going. While
you have everything else switched off at the breaker box
or the fuses pulled, make sure you still see this high load
on this one remaining circuit. Next, pull the plug on items
one at a time to see which item is causing the load. One
big clue is that it will be the one that is hot since it
is drawing enough power to run a hair dryer. My suspicion
is that you will pull all of your plug-in devices, and still
have the load. I am betting that there is something that
you forgot that is attached to this circuit, like a freezer
in the garage or outdoors flood lights.

If there is an electrical problem, you may want to call
for an electrician right away. A 1500 watt unknown load
could be a wiring problem, and that much heat can cause
a fire. Then again, if this has been going on, you should
have burned down by now, so that isn't likely after all.

-john-

John A. Weeks III 952-432-2708

Newave Communications
http://www.johnweeks.com