willshak

On 1/3/2005 9:12 PM US(ET), James Nipper took fingers to keys, and typed
the following:

I want to build a small garage at a vacation cabin in the mountains.
Several years ago, I had a spot cleared at a spot that I intended as a level
parking spot. I had some rock delivered, so that the spot was level. So,
I have an area of about 25 feet by 35 feet, where the rock (because of
the land slope) is about 1 foot deep on one end, and about 6 feet deep on
the other end. (That is quite a pile of rock, and has been a good parking
spot).

Here is my question: I know that foundation footers should be dug to below
the frost line, which in this area is about 3 feet. This is because of
frost heave, as I understand it. But, it is very unlikely to me that I would
experience frost-heave in an area where I have 3 to 6 feet of rock, right ??

I can't remember the type of rock, but I think it is limestone. It is 2-3
inch size. It has some "fines" in it, so that is has bonded together very
well. It is VERY hard , and stable.

Questions:

1. What type of footer would I need, and how deep should I did it ?

2. I am assuming that I would have a footing around the perimeter of the
garage, and then the concrete floor of the garage would just be poured 4-5
inches thick, right? Is that what is called a monolithic slab? Would I
still need some pea gravel and/or sand, to be put over the rock described,
before the concrete is poured ?

I know these questions are basic, but I don't want to sound too green to my
contractor.

Check with your local building inspector. See what he will accept.
I don't think that having 1-6 feet of stone piled on top of the ground
meets the requirements of a 3' frost free footing.

--
Bill