TURTLE

wrote in message
oups.com...
I've been interested in reducing our gas consumption for heat, as in
the past 2 mo. our cost per ccf has risen 30%. We've added insulation,
caulked, weatherstripped, and this past weekend with help from the
group, installed a programmable thermostat.

Has anyone compared the use of a (gas) fireplace with insert and blower
with a programmable thermostat and furnace, or other scenarios to
determine consumption (i.e., does the pilot light for the FP consume
measureable quantities, etc.)?

I've been searching but have not found information (yet) that would
provide better data collection than reading the analog meter outside
over the course of a few days. I know there are other variables...the
weather outside, the efficiency of the furnace/fireplace, etc., but
would be interested in what others have found.

Thank you,
Dave

This is Turtle.

I have never met a fire place heater gas that could be more effiecent as a gas
hot air furnace. Now I have seen some that will come close but never beat them.

TURTLE