jakdedert

Daremo wrote:
If you're savvy enough, Hijack this will get rid of many spywares.

Daremo

That's part of the problem. Many (most?) packages will get rid of a variety
of infestations. Apparently, none of them will get rid of *all* of them.
Even when they do, something usually gets left behind...often that
'something' hooks up to the mothership and downloads the whole mess again.

jak

"jakdedert" wrote in message
. ..
Jim Adney wrote:
On 29 Dec 2004 18:14:30 -0800 wrote:

I have a P-IV 1.8 Ghz computer with 256MB RAM and 40GB hard disk.
Of late it has become extremely slow. I have done virus checking
and spyware checking. Nothing comes up in that. What could be the
reason for the slowing down of the computer. If anybody has any
solutions please inform me about that.

I would download Spybot and Ad-Aware, then install and run both of
them. They are both free, and you should update their data sets as
soon as you install them. New data sets come out for both regularly.

I think you will be surprised at what they find.

...and at what they don't. I got a particularly bad spyware
infestation which neither of them took care of. When I downloaded a
trial version of System Mechanic, the included AV software found
even more spyware problems, but didn't find some of the ones which
Spybot and Ad-Aware found.

What's more, none of those programs did a thorough job of cleaning
out all references to the infection in either the registry or
elsewhere.

When your spyware checker finds a particular infestation, after
rebooting run regedit and search for the name of the program in the
registry. Likely you will find it many places.

jak

-
Jim Adney

Madison, WI 53711 USA