Lucy

Default Need help vinyl floor tile question..

A few years ago, we got (even though it is not what I requested) those
square vinyl floor tiles in our kitchen and bathroom. I wanted the sheet of
vinyl (no cracks to allow spills in), but since MIL was paying for it, I
agreed to the squares.
None of the tiles are loose.. as I've been extremely careful and driving
everyone nuts with obsessing 'dont spill on the floor'.. ugh.
I want to get it sealed so that spills don't seep under the floor tiles..
how can I do this?
A coworker said polyurethane.. and to use a roller to apply a few coats,
letting it dry in between. I went to home depot and the guy looked at me
like I was stupid and said they don't 'have' that stuff.. but offered to
sell me a brand new ceramic tile floor. (ugh.. the economy is so bad
everyone is all about upsell upsell upsell)
But then again, I usually don't get decent help at places like that, I think
because I'm female.. who knows.
So.. how can I (frugally) seal that tile so that spills don't seep under
them?
Thank you all so very much in advance,
lucy