Pasquale

Thanks for all your help. Comments below...

Walter Harley wrote:
"Pasquale" wrote in message

I have a Universal Microphone with 1/4" jack and the adaptor to 3.5mm.

Sounds like a mono microphone, and could be the kind that doesn't need an
external DC supply voltage. So that's good.

You say "jack". Do you mean "plug"? Jacks are female, plugs are male.

The reference above should have been "1/4 plug" instead of "1/4 jack".
The rest of my references are correct.

Are the plugs stereo or mono?

[The camcorder] has A/V in/out 3.5mm(?) jack. With the camera came a A/V
cable with video, and left and right RCA on one end and the 3.5mm plug on
the other. I am getting the video no problem. As for the audio, I am
getting sound, I just need it to be amplified.

That definitely sounds like a line-level input. So you do need some sort of
microphone preamp. You mentioned you were using a preamp; is it in fact a
microphone preamp? What kind? How are you connecting to it?

The pre-amp... "Permits use of a turntable with a magnetic stereo phono
cartridge with an amplifier not equipped with the appropriate connections."

I know its not meant for what I am trying, but I just need something
temporary. I will get the proper mic pre-amp after the holidays, when
the stores are back to normal hours.

http://www.radioshack.ca/estore/Prod...duct=4 202111

I am connecting my mic to the adaptor I made and then to the input of
the pre-amp with RCA cable. Then out from the pre-amp to the camcorder
with the A/V cable.

I put together a adaptor cable to go from the 3.5mm microphone jack to the
dual RCA ends. I think it may be from here where I am getting the
static/hum/noise. It seems that if it is held right the noise is pretty
much gone. Maybe poor solder or bad connection to the tail of the
microphone jack (ground).

The way I did the soldering was:

- RCA white inner core wire to the silver tab of the mic jack
- RCA red inner core wire to the copper tab of the mic jack
- copper wire surrounding each are both solder to the tail of the mic jack

It sounds like the "mic jack" you're describing here is the 3.5mm jack into
which you're plugging the mic plug. Or am I confused? If I'm right, it
also sounds like you're describing a stereo 3.5mm jack.

You are correct.

Is the mic plug mono or stereo? If you're plugging a mono plug into a
stereo jack, you will have problems - at the least, one channel will be
missing. So, it sounds to me like you may not have this wired correctly.

The mic plug is mono. The mic jack on my adaptor is stereo. So, I'm just
losing a channel.

I used the link below that was given to me in a earlier response for wiring.
http://www.vandenhul.com/artpap/wiring.htm

But it does also sound like there's a soldering problem.

I'm going to buy another 3.5mm jack for my adaptor and do a better
soldering. Now that I take a closer look at it, it's not so great.
Thinking about, I remember the tabs getting too hot because the tabs
were moving back-and-forth in the plastic core. I'm going to be more
careful this time.

Hopefully that will fix the problem. If not I'll try a repair shop or
Radio Shack and see what they have to say.

Thanks again.

Are you somewhere near a Radio Shack, or a TV repair shop or something?
This sort of problem would take about one minute to diagnose and give you
the right answer, for someone who could actually see what you're talking
about. Trying to do it in text, with inaccurate terminology and incomplete
information, is going to be slow going.