John A. Weeks III

In article ,
"Bob" wrote:

Joist spacing is 16" OC. The posts/pillars are 2x4. The horizontal beams are
two 2x4 stacked so it is 4x4.

I have no clue on the right answer, but I do see load bearing
interior walls made this way all the time. These walls sometimes
support the 2nd floor structure or carry part of the roof. As
a result, it is likely OK. I personally, however, would feel
much better if the vertical 2x4's were sistered to be 4x4, or
were 2x6 to start with. Outside walls are normally 2x6 in my
neck of the woods. The floor joists make an 11 foot long lever,
which is a lot to carry, plus you have the rest of the structure
that will rest here, too.

-john-

John A. Weeks III 952-432-2708
Newave Communications