Steve Wolfe

I repeat the invite - which you have seem to have chosen to ignore.

I don't care to get into "double-dog-dare" contests with you. Sorry.
You asked for the feedback, you got it, end of story. If you can't take it,
go cry to someone who cares.

Prove yourself to be anything other than an armchair critic and show
you can do more than just quote a few phrases (there are quite a few
books here in my library btw including one from which the layer coding
is derived - and that by a Dreamweaver alpha tester - go figure -
Dreamweaver 4 magic, New Ryders,Al Sparber - ISBN no available by
request!)

You don't seem to have have mentioned any books on usability. Maybe I
missed something, but the last time I looked, reading a book on layers or
Dreamweaver didn't comprise anything like a text on usability. There is an
entire industry around usability, be it web sites, coffee pots, or lawn
mowers, and so searching Amazon for the term "usability" will get you a
pretty good list.

You presume to assume about my career?! On the basis that you have
decided that this is what I do for a living - this is the platform for
your criticisms?

(snip)

However, feedback from "interested"
woodturners who are keen to view a collection on the web (and there are
few enough of those) tells me that they soldier on through all these
patent inadequacies.

I guess I must have been wrong, it must not be your career if that's your
attitude - or you'd be collecting unemployment. Anyone with even a passing
familiarity with real-world web sites has found that just because a portion
of very-interested persons keeps going to your site, it doesn't mean that a
lot of other people turn away. I could go into the six years of data that
I've got from over 50 *very* active web sites (thousands of hits per minute,
how many do you get a week?), and into how many hundreds of thousands of
dollars we have poured not only into analysis of the data, but into active
testing and research on how usability and other factors influence site
visits - but I really don't think you'd care. And even if I was inclined,
it still wouldn't matter: There's a vast wealth of resources on the subject
out there for you if you're interested. You can take them or leave them as
you please.

In the end, because I haven't taken your petty, school-yard challenge to
have something along the lines of a web-site duel, I imagine that your
injured ego will prevent you from even considering anything I've said -
let's even say that you "won" because I declined the challenge. That's fine
with me, I have no interest in hearing any more of your blather, and have
now kill-filed you. If I offended you, I apologize - but I still invite you
to expand your horizons for your own benefit.

steve