Martin H. Eastburn

john johnson wrote:
"Martin H. Eastburn" wrote in message

F. Hayek wrote:

I'm looking for a set with wire sizes, letter, and fractional. There are
a lot of 115pc sets a places like Northern tool and Amazon.com that I
suspect are substandard. What are some good brands to look for and where
should I look? I'd also like to get metric bits at some point. -- Fred

http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNLMK3...&PMK0NO=368852

which is :

Search Criteria
Brand Name : Chicago-Latrobe
Type : Heavy-Duty
Size Range : 1/16 - 1/2 x 1/64, A - Z, #1 - #60
Products: 2
Pages: 1
Current Page: 1

HSS and Cobalt versions. 400 500.

There are other name brand versions - but
you want HSS High speed steel or Cobalt.

The coating is nice to have and reduces wear, but doesn't indicate a good
drill.

Don't pay for the cobalt when only HSS is needed. It depends what you are
drilling.

They have metric sets....

What I did was get metric in .1mm to augment my #'s, letters, fractions.
My metrics are in two cases. Don't worry about buying a half dozen
boxes -
it does make sense to have a metric set as they are in between sizes.

Martin [ my 115 pc set is for general purpose drilling, my nice sets
(smaller) are
for quality drilling ]

--
Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn
@ home at Lion's Lair with our computer

I've been looking at restocking my drill collection as well. I'm thinking
that if I got a set of metric drills in 0.1 mm increments up to about 13 mm
it would cover everything I would ever need. A drill every 4 thou of an inch
?

regards,

John

Get a good drill chart from a #80 to 1/2" with letters, numbers, fractions
and metric to 0.05mm.
I have two - one in color over the lathe and another on the back door in plastic.

It shows what is the drill to use and what is next larger or smaller...
I often step from one into another unit system in order to take light cuts.
My large set is for gross items and the
various small boxes cover the quality cuts wanted.
Martin