Roger Shoaf

"HerHusband" wrote in message
Roger,

What you refer to as a copper pipe adapter is a dielectric union.
This provides an electrical insulation between the copper and the
galvanized pipe to prevent electrolysis.

I have plastic piping here, so I have no need for the dielectric unions.

However, I was doing some research on those unions and it sounds like they
don't work well in real life. The theory is good, putting an insulator
between dissimilar metals so they won't corrode from electrolysis. If the
pipes were dry, it would work great. However, when the pipes are filled
with water (a conductor) the corrosion apparently bridges the gap and the
pipes corrode as if the union weren't there.

Just something I learned from plumbers who deal with this stuff every
day...

Anthony

If you don't think they work would you connect copper directly to galvanized
pipe in your home? I sure wouldn't. Why don't you get that know-it all
plumber to prove his theory with a volt meter.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.