Cicero

Default bath along or across joists? (further stories from the house from hell)

"Seri" wrote in message
.. .
Save me please from the house that bodger built.

Short:
This house has the bath running 'along' the joists, a crack has
developed in the back wall that the bath runs against.
Could the weight of the bath have caused this crack?
Should the bath be running 'across' the joists?

snipped

When I first saw the crack appear on the back wall of the kitchen, after
pondering a little, I thought that when they had moved the back door
across the wall a little they simply hadn't put in the proper supporting
blocks.
Now that I can see the crack runs all the way up to bathroom I'm
wondering if it could be caused instead by the weight of the bath being
only on one or two joists.

Could this be the case?

Any help would be extremely appreciated as whenever I look around this
house now days I simply see £ signs instead of anything else.

Thanks for any help.

Seri

==================
If the bath is resting on joists parallel to the back wall then it's
unlikely that this has caused the damage because the weight of the bath will
be on the other two walls - those at right angles to the back wall. The
joists are supported by walls at their ends not by the wall running parallel
with them.

If you're in doubt about the original position of the bath look for signs on
the floor under the bath such as unused holes in the floor for pipework,
battens for the feet of the bath etc. A bodger will always leave traces of
their bodging! If you're still in doubt get a surveyor to look at it.

Cic.