NSM

"jakdedert" wrote in message
. ..

| ...and at what they don't. I got a particularly bad spyware infestation
| which neither of them took care of. When I downloaded a trial version of
| System Mechanic, the included AV software found even more spyware
problems,
| but didn't find some of the ones which Spybot and Ad-Aware found.
|
| What's more, none of those programs did a thorough job of cleaning out all
| references to the infection in either the registry or elsewhere.
|
| When your spyware checker finds a particular infestation, after rebooting
| run regedit and search for the name of the program in the registry.
Likely
| you will find it many places.

I had one computer where the user had added some evil toolbar that generated
massive popups for some anti popup software that shut the computer down for
lack of memory. According to what I read, even if you paid for this POS it
didn't work and it wouldn't stop the popups. Trying to remove it with
AdAware etc just caused the computer to lockup. I had to use Giant Spyware
Remover to get rid of it - took me over 2 hours all told.