Before replacing the breaker, did the breaker or the area around it feel
warm/hot? If so, it is most likely a loose connection where the wire is
terminated at the breaker - or burnt contacts in the breaker - unlikely if
the breaker was not tripping.

I would suggest tightening all of the breaker connections.

Does your house have aluminum wire. If so, tightening is especially
important as is ensuring that the right "gunk" has been used on the
terminals.

On 1 Jan 2005 17:46:27 -0800, wrote:

What do you mean "if I reset the breaker"? Did the breaker trip? If

not,
why would you reset it?

The breaker didn't trip. I reset it (switched off then on) to see what
would happen.

Where did you measure the voltage?

At the receptacle. The voltage is 120V after I reset the breaker.
When I plug in the washer, I initially hear it startup then it stops.
When it stops, I measure about 60V. The receptacle remains at about
60V until the breaker is reset. Note that when I test the voltage
(both times with 120V and 60V) there was no load (the washer was
unplugged).

Thanks, Herb