Joseph Meehan

Joe Bobst wrote:
Addendum to Mr. Meehan's fuel purchasing rules:

1) Never buy gas first thing in the morning. Let the early birds have
the best chance of getting the grunge from the bottom of the tank.
Pickup pipes in the tanks don't draw from the top, you know.

While I agree with #2 and #3, both are for real. I would not worry
about #1. First, as you may already know, the pickups are not at the very
bottom, the are a few inches above it. The fuel and grunge below that (and
most tanks do have grunge and water below that level) is called bottoms.
Good dealers have the the tanks pumped out from time to time to keep the
level low so it does not get in the pickups.

Morning is the best time for two reasons. First all the grunge has had
all night to settle to the bottom, not yet steered up by pumping gas, and
the gas is a little cooler and you get a little more for your money. Nether
is really important in my book

BTW I would recommend passing on any station that is getting or just got
a fuel delivery. That is when the grunge gets steered up for real.
2) Never fuel up at a station at the bottom of a hill, especially in
rainy or snowy weather. Remember water flows downhill, and
underground tank inlets aren't totally trustworthy.
3) The further from an interstate highway, the lower the price. And
sometime the lower the quality. Shop warily when traveling. HTH

Joe

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math