t.hoehler

"DMF" wrote in message
All,

I was hoping someone here might be able to help me
with my clock radio. I have a GPX Digital Alarm/Clock
Radio (Model# D505) that I want to modify. I like to
set the morning alarm to play music but I don't want any
stations. I want it to wake me up with the soothing hiss
of white noise. I've tried setting it between stations, at the
ends of the dial, etc. but it still seems to pick up various
broadcasts and other chatter. So the questions is -- what
wire or component do I have to snip out of the circuit in
order to disable the radio's ability to pick up any signals?
I believe (and correct me if I am wrong) that if the antenna
portion of the (FM?) circuit is snipped out then I should
just get white noise, no matter where the tuner is set. Also,
would removing the antenna circuit create any kind of
problem for the downstream amplifying circuits?

Can this be done, if so, how? (This is a $9 radio, so I'm
not too concerned if I ruin it) Thank you.

Regards,
David (waiting with wire cutters at the ready)

If you can figure out where the LO (local osc) is, you can just short its

output to ground. I did that to a discarded boom box board years ago, put it
in a small speaker enclosure, run the whole shebang off an old telephone
light wall wart, and use it to bathe the bedroom in pink noise, I rolled the
highs off somewhat with a cap. We've been using it for almost 16 years,
works great.
Regards and happy new years to all,
Tom