Richard Caley

Default Making a ruin into something habitable.

In article , abuse-imm (a) writes:

Playing with theland ownership (unless you are considering theft)

a Read some history about the enclosures.

So, if I can find evidence that your great^Nth grandfather stole
something, I can confiscate from you the value of that object would
have now?

This would be more convincing if there was a land shortage caused
by people not selling. So far as I can see there is not.

a There is great misery in many tenant farmers who have to pay rent no matter
a what the price of crops or animals.

My heart bleeds. Lots of people have to pay rent on their homes, no
matter what their income is.

There is land shortage in some places because of basic geometry,

a ????

There are only so many square miles in a city center.

and there is planning permission shortage in other areas.

a Are you getting there?

I am getting to the point where I realise you are trying to play a
shell game. Claiming the problemis land ownership, then when
challenged defendiong as if you had said the problem was the plannign
system, which no one has dissagreed with.

a The prime point is that "development land" is super expensive,

Which is because the planning system is screwed.

a Planning is a major problem. The large landowners who hog land as it is a
a cash cow for them are another.

The latter has no noticable effect since there is not a shortage of
land for sale, except where geomery takes a hand.

a You can de-regulate the planning system,
a which it requires, yet if large landowners refuse to sell they countless
a acres the problem is only half solved.

The _problem_ is completely solved becuase there is not a shortage of
land for sale, only of plannign per,mission for that land.

Then buy some land for 4K, get the permission `dirt cheap' and make
yourself a few hundred thousand pounds profit.

a If only!

Why not?

You just said it would be dirt cheap to get planning permisison to do so.

a The process of planning permission is dirt cheap. Once it has it the price
a then becomes silly.

Exactly, so buy it cheap, get the planning permission cheap and sell
for the silly price.

Unless, of course, you think your characterisation of the situation is

You are suggesting that there is something (development planning
permission) which is in very short supply, in high demand, but yet is
dirt cheap.

I don't know what planet you are posting from, but on Earth economics
doesn't work like that.

--
Mail me as _O_