David Gersic

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 06:00:03 -0500, Art wrote:
Commercially we use both designs of the Hakko equipment, the Pistol type
and the Base type. Both do a fair job but tend to plug us a lot,causing the
user to constantly use the supplied cleaning rod to clean the debris out of
the pickup tube, tips, and emptying the reservoirs.

I have a Hakko, and haven't had any trouble with the tips or tubes clogging,
but find that I do need to empty the filter tube often enough that it's worth
having a second filter tube set up and ready to drop in place while the full
one cools down.

For the average hobbyist, home user, etc IMHO the Teflon tipped solder
sucker, bulb operated, is preferred in many applications

I wore out the cheap Radio Shack desolder iron before getting the Hakko.
For being cheap (under $20), it works remarkably well. It's not as nice
as having a real desolder station, but if you're only doing one or two
board repairs a year, it's not a bad tool.

--
| David Gersic |
| Why put off 'till tomorrow what you'll never do anyway? |