James Lerch

On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 03:39:09 GMT, Gunner
wrote:

Did you try to anneal it first?

Rub a bar of soap on the bend line, hit it with a A/O torch until the
soap burns away, let it cool then try.

I didn't use the bar of soap trick, but it was so hot that it didn't
"Ring" anymore (which as another aside, ever notice that recently
welded, but still hot aluminum bits wont got "Ting" (ring) when
struck, they just go 'thunk'? I've always thought that was odd, but I
deviate from the problem at hand..

Ive never done this...but its supposed to work.

Sure its not titanium?

Not certain, but I've welded two pieces together with 4043 filler rod,
so I figure it was aluminum. Can Titanium be welded (maybe brazed)
with 4043 filler wire?

Take Care,
James Lerch
http://lerch.no-ip.com/atm (My telescope construction, Testing, and Coating site)

Press on: nothing in the world can take the place of perseverance.
Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb.
Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts.
Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent.
Calvin Coolidge