Jim Adney

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 04:10:54 GMT "Fred"
wrote:

After a few plugging/unplugging, turns out there's no oxide build up on the
AC receptacle. Dang it, that would've been too much to ask!

Looking back, I don't think I was clear on my suggested failure mode.
I was thinking that there might be an extra contact in the AC adaptor
jack (an "open circuit jack") that would open and close every time you
inserted the AC adaptor.

It's just possible that they used this contact to provide power in the
absence of the adaptor, but if the contact got resistive, then this
"resistor" would be in series with your batteries, and would make them
look discharged.

Just inserting the AC adaptor plug a few times, or maybe just once,
would have exercised this contact and broken thru the insulating oxide
layer, fixing your problem.

I don't know how realistic it is, but at least it fits your
observations.

If I'm right, you don't have to do anything else for a few more years.
Then, when you have the problem again, just insert the AC adaptor plug
in the camera jack a few times and you should get a fresh start. I
wouldn't do ANYTHING else.

-
Jim Adney
Madison, WI 53711 USA