Guess who

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 19:43:30 -0500, sandman
wrote:

In article ,
"David Hakala" wrote:

"sandman"
Probably too much speed and the teeth aren't course enough.
Cutting stuff like that calls for chip removal and cooling. Add a
powerful blast of concentrated air at the point of the saw cut.

Interesting. I tried a cutting wheel about 1/16" thick and 1" dia. at about
10,000 rpm. Slowing it down didn't help. Then I tried a diamond-coated
wheel, a bit more than 0.12" thick, which fits the steel plate that goes
into this groove perfectly. That went better but I still get melted Lexan.

I guess I need one of those itsy-bitsy circular saw blades, and I know
exactly where to get one!

I suppose my vacuum cleaner will do for a powerful blast of air. :-)

Thanks, sandman!

David, I was more thinking along the lines of a blow gun with air from a
compressor. High pressure to blow the chips away from the action.
I don't think a vacuum would have the concentrated oomph.
The cooling would be a side-benefit.

I would also make sure that the travel of the work would be parallel to
the blade.

Why not use a hand-router [the motorless kind of yore] with a guide
that can be clamped to parallel markings on another piece made of wood
of the same thickness? You could have an outer jig frame that holds
the piece and one side having the markings. You'd need a craftsman's
steady hand and a razor-sharp blade. I've done it before [with wood]
and used more materialfor the jig than for the object being worked on.