Gunner

On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 00:55:24 GMT,
(James Lerch) wrote:

Well, today I decided, come hell or high water, I WOULD bend that
silly 0.06" x 2" wide x 48" long aluminum.

After much welding, reinforcing, and bracing, all I ended up doing was
shattering a 4" c-clamp and actually putting a length wise bend into
the 4"x 1/4" thick C-Channel I was using on the handle side of the of
the metal brake...

So, I'm throwing in the towel, its time to sheer the aluminum into 1"
wide pieces, and just weld them back together at the appropriate
angle.

(BTW, I don't know what kind of alloy this aluminum is, but WOW is
that some tuff stuff!) As a test, I was easily able to bend some
1/16" sheet metal of similar size...

Oh well, live and learn, the stuff you find in the scrap bin isn't
always the best idea

Did you try to anneal it first?

Rub a bar of soap on the bend line, hit it with a A/O torch until the
soap burns away, let it cool then try.

Ive never done this...but its supposed to work.

Sure its not titanium?

Gunner

Take Care,
James Lerch
http://lerch.no-ip.com/atm (My telescope construction, Testing, and Coating site)

Press on: nothing in the world can take the place of perseverance.
Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb.
Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts.
Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent.
Calvin Coolidge

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling
which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight,
nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being
free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
- John Stewart Mill