budgie

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 23:30:17 -0800, "Robert Wolcott"
wrote:

What is the best method for desoldering components on circuit boards? I
know that there is the bulb method that sucks up the solder, and the braided
copper wire that wicks it up. Which is generally preferred?

I've not tried the real vacuum desoldering stations. In the region below that
(i.e. small service bench and hobby level activity) the "best" depends - as
others have said - on the job.

I find braid does require heat for too long before it wicks up the excess
solder, and can cause board/component damage. the idea in desoldering is the
same as soldering - the right amount of heat for the least required time. Braid
also does lead to burned fingertips.

Soldersuckers (one-shot types) are my tool of choice for working on single-sided
boards. For double-sided plated-through boards, I use exclusively a desoldering
iron which is really a solder-sucker with a heated tip. The only downside with
these tools is that the release button is poorly located.