Glenna Rose

"Glenna Rose" wrote in message
Moving away from all of that. Would masonite be a good choice for the
bottom "layer" of a circular saw guide for plywood?

writes:

Yes it would. Probably the best choice as it's thin, strong and stable.

Good! I called Parr Lumber today to be sure they had some and that they
would cut it, only they call it pressed hardboard. Either way I go,
masonite or hardboard, the store I go to calls it the other. No wonder I
never know for certain which to call it. It seemed prudent to look at it
before buying so a trip to the warehouse then back to the cash register.
Tomorrow, after all have gone home after dinner, I will make the guide,
two actually, one 4-feet and one 8-feet. I don't want to even think about
all the years I marked the cutting line, measured over for my guide,
clamped it in place and cut. I had two straight mahogany 1x2 pieces that
were marked all over "Straight Edge" so neither my ex or I would use them
for something else. Worked great, however, I didn't take great care with
them when I moved here to keep them absolutely straight. It's supposed to
be in the 20s at night and barely above freezing this next week so all my
garage work will need to be done tomorrow night and Sunday.

It will be nice to just set the guide down by the cutting line, clamp and
saw (and know it's in the right place!).

Sometimes we overlook the obvious.

It is 1/4", the 1/8" looked too thin, hope that was the right choice.

Is pressed hardboard and masonite the same thing or is it like scallions
and green onions, almost alike but different? (Or is masonite actually a
brand name?)

Glenna