DoN. Nichols

In article 2004123116112827590%deichles@yahoocom,
Charles Morrill wrote:
On 2004-12-31 15:08:54 -0500, "F. Hayek" said:

I'm looking for a set with wire sizes, letter, and fractional. There
are a lot of 115pc sets a places like Northern tool and Amazon.com that
I suspect are substandard. What are some good brands to look for and
where should I look? I'd also like to get metric bits at some point. --
Fred

I waited until the 115 piece American made set went on sale at MSC.
Figured I'd keep some local folks in business...I've been happy with
it, but subsequently realized I don't know what "American made" really
means. Is it domestic? North American? South American? Oh well, I
really did try.

They also sell sets made purely of drills by Cleveland, which is
a known good brand. But I have the "Made in USA" set as well, and am
quite pleased with it.

Note that the 115 bit index by Huot (who makes the indexes used
in the quality sets, but not in the cheaper sets) also has a clip in it
on the letter side of the index to hold the 61-80 index, and I have one
stored there.

As a rough guide, using MSC's typical pricing, I consider that a
115-piece set with index should sell for not much less than a dollar a
drill bit.

However, next time around, I will go for another index filled
with screw-machine length split-point cobalt steel drill bits. I've got
a number-size set of these which I find to be spectacularly good for
most of my needs.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564