carl mciver

Default Erector set tool idea

It came to mind some time ago the idea of using 2" square tubing like
what's used on trailer hitches to make reconfigurable tools for the things I
don't have room to leave in place in my not so big garage.
For example, I could make a H or C press, small hoist, temporary work
table, or other stuff by having the two inch tubing in "standard" lengths
with holes evenly distributed along the length, and having the 2 1/2" stuff
as connectors, angle fittings, and so forth to make the necessary
connections. I was thinking of using the standard hitch pin in appropriate
sized holes to hold things together.
Then I got to thinking about what kind of load a standard hitch pin
would be made to hole, and what kind of loads I could expect to be working
with safely. What kind of engagement would be necessary to keep movement to
a minimum in high stress environments of say, a C press.

I know some folks use their trailer hitches for other than intended
purposes, and someone told me that he uses all his tools mounted on this
kind of tubing so that he can take them off of his workbench when they're in
his way.

Am I thinking safely here? Anything I need to be concerned about?