Henry St.Pierre

Prometheus wrote in
:

Hello all,

I'm sure this is a question that has been hashed to death in previous
times, but I can't for the life of me find any information on it. I'd
really like to try my hand at turning some spirals, but I don't have
the cash to get one of those spiffy Sorby spiralling and texturing
tools. I do have a router, so my best option may be building a
carriage with a cable hooked to the spindle to turn the work as the
router advances, but it just seems like there should be some way to do
this with a regular turning tool- after all, there are plenty of old
spindles with spirals on them, and I doubt they were *all* carved by
hand. Does anyone know a technique for turning these freehand with a
turning chisel, and if so, is there a description of the process
somewhere on the internet? Might this involve making an initial
groove with a v-shaped chisel by rotating the headstock by hand and
then following the groove with the lathe on it's slowest speed, or is
that just asking for all sorts of nasty things to happen?

Thanks for your suggestions!

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam

Find a copy of 'Techniques of Spiral Work' by Stuart Mortimer. Mr. Mortimer
covers it very well. I saw this technique demonstrated by Paul Petrie (a
very talented turner) at this years woodturning symposium in Albany NY.
Regards,
Hank