jtaylor

"Ignoramus31471" wrote in message
I have a particular rotary switch with an about 2mm thick stem. It is
made of some sort of steel. The stem on it is broken. It is an 11
position switch, kinda hard to find although I have seen 11 position
rotary switches (whose positions do not match the markings on the
device).

I would like to know if there is a simple way of mending that
switch. Maybe silver brazing or using some sort of a drill and tap
mini screw with loktite. Any thoughts on this?

If you can dis-assemble the switch and get the shaft by itself
silver-soldering (real silver, not the 5% stuff) is the way to go. Depends
on where the break is and how much clearance you have before the knob sits
on the shaft , but the idea of a sleeve is a good one if you can fit it.

With those multi position switches if it's an open frame design often you
can just unbend some tabs and they'll come apart.

2mm is awfully small to attempt a merely mechanical repair.