Prometheus

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 11:08:40 -0500, alexy wrote:

"foggytown" wrote:

And now in a burst of refreshing honesty we're all going to admit to
the most useless, waste-of-money, unnecessary, white elephant, "why the
hell did I ever buy that" tool in our arsenal.

Fun list. And shows very well that what is useful for one person may
be useless for another who works in a different style.

Mine are two that many here probably love:

My 6" jointer. Maybe I need someone to come help me with setup or
teach me how to feed wood to get good results, but I find I get much
better results, and more quickly and enjoyably with my old #8. If the
wood is badly twisted, cupped or bowed, I may use the jointer instead
of my scrub plane and #5 to get it close before bringing out the #8.

My PC plunge router. Nothing philosophical here. I know that a router
can be useful, particularly mounted in my table. But I find that FOR
ME, I hardly ever use it. It has pretty much sat in its box since I
got a great deal on it a year ago when HD was closing them out.

You know, I was starting to feel the same way about my plunge router,
until I took it out of the table to cut some dadoes, and remembered
how useful it was for things other than chamfering edges and cutting
ogees. Now it gets all sorts of use.
Aut inveniam viam aut faciam